Monday, March 9, 2009

Rankings 2.0 Continued..

So after writing my previous post, I got a call from some friends at IIT Bombay Shailesh J Mehta School of Management (SJMSOM), saying I missed their name.

Now here's my explanation for leaving them out.

So what makes SJMSOM special? It is a subsidiary of IIT Bombay that deals with MBA. The entrance examination for this is JMET (Joint Management Entrance Test), and out of the 20000 odd people who write this exam, only the top 300 odd people get into this college. A lot of its brand value is associated with the fact that it is part of a premier institute like IIT. This makes it more sought after.

If we check on www.stimator.com, it clearly says that for evaluating sub domains, they measure traffic on the main domain as well. And the SJMSOM site is www.som.iitb.ac.in, which is a sub domain of the site www.iitb.ac.in. If we try and compare on an absolute scale, SOM comes at around 26000 USD, which means it should be ranked 2nd. Of course, the number here is strongly influenced by the fact that it is under IIT Bombay. Therefore, I chose to leave out SJMSOM..

No offence meant to SJMSOM! Just that this rating needed absolute values.

~Thanks to Seksaria of IIT Bombay SJMSOM to make me clarify.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stimator is ok.
I’ve found another site valuation tool and it seems to provide competitive analysis for free. I'm talking about
www.estimix.com .